Neil N. Olsen, JD, Shareholder
Neil Olsen's practice focuses on helping individuals, businesses, and property owners meet their goals and protect their interests. Drawing on a broad base of experience, Neil serves the firm's clients in the court room, at the negotiating table, and in the board room.
As a litigator, Neil thrives on providing a voice for the firm's clients. He regularly stands for property owners in eminent domain proceedings, ensuring they receive their constitutionally-guaranteed rights to due process and just compensation. In addition, he has litigated disputes related to real estate transactions, commercial leases, land use regulation, commercial contracts, construction projects, employment matters, wills and trusts, and various business torts. He is experienced in all forms of dispute resolution, from mediation and arbitration to trial and appeal.
Neil also advises the firm's business clients on entity formation and governance, business and real estate transactions, and labor and employment matters. As business counselor, Neil seeks to understand the firm's clients from the inside-out; to understand their values and goals, as well as their regulatory and competitive environments. This understanding allows him to not only provide cost-effective advice in meeting immediate legal challenges, but also positions him to provide valuable strategic advice in helping businesses achieve their long-term goals.
- 2012 Oregon Super Lawyer Magazine: "Rising Star" in Eminent Domain
- Represent property owners whose property is targeted for condemnation by TriMet, ODOT, WSDOT, and other public entities in Oregon and Washington.
- Represent property owners in condemnation litigation.
- Regular speaker on public infrastructure projects and protection of property owners’ just compensation and due process rights when faced with threat of a taking by condemnation.
- Represent property owners in Measure 49 claims, including administrative and judicial review proceedings.
- Represent property owners in vested rights cases.
- Represented property owner group in its successful efforts to alter major road-widening project planned for established residential area.
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented commercial property seller in enforcement of earnest money promissory note.
- Represented commercial land contract vendor in breach of contract and trust deed foreclosure claims.
- Represented commercial tenant in dispute with landlord regarding breach of signage provisions in lease and breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment.
- Represented buyer of multiple commercial properties in defense of breach of contract claims by the seller of the properties and prosecution of counterclaims for breach of contract and intentional misrepresentation by the seller.
- Represented property owner in boundary line dispute with neighbor.
Business and Real Estate Transactions
- Represented national wireless communications company in negotiating leases for office and retail space.
- Represented national communications infrastructure company in negotiating leases for office and technical space.
- Represented purchaser of substantial agricultural properties and subsequent leasing of those properties to producers.
- Represented buyers of residential subdivision lots in structuring special purposed entities and contractual relationships necessary for the finance, purchase, and build-out of the lots.
- Represented seller of manufacturing business in structuring purchase and sale transaction.
- Represented regional specialty contractor in acquisition of new facility.
Commercial and Employment Litigation
- Represented national imaging company in prosecution of trade secret and non-disclosure claims against two former employees.
- Represented regional telecommunications company in prosecution of trade secret, non-disclosure, and non-competition claims against two former employees.
- Represented home builder in insurance coverage dispute with the carrier of its commercial general liability policy.
- Represented regional restaurant company in enforcement of arbitration agreement with former employee, resulting in favorable outcome for the client.
- Represented regional pharmaceutical company in enforcement of contract with skilled nursing facility.
- Represented specialty contractor in defense of wage claims by former employee and pursuit of separate trade secret, non-disclosure, and business tort claims against the former employee.
- Represented various employers in defense of wage and hour claims, statutory discrimination claims, and employment-based common law tort claims.
- Represented developer in breach of contract and construction defect claims against general contractor.
- Counseled numerous contractors, architects and engineers in relation to drafting and interpreting construction and consulting contracts, risk minimization, and regulatory compliance.
- Represented numerous contractors, subcontractors, architects and engineers in construction lien matters.
- Represented numerous contractors and subcontractors in contract and construction defect litigation.
- Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail "Mega Project" Moves Forward, Daily Journal of Commerce, April 26, 2011
- Columbia River Crossing Will Impact 200 Properties, Portland Business Journal, November 12, 2012
- J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 2005
- Executive Editor, Lewis & Clark Law Review
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Michael W. Mosman, United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- Business Roundtable Scholar
- B.A., Government, University of Texas at Austin, 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oregon State Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- Washington State Bar